Rosie's dinner before sunset - September 14th, 2012

I searched for Washington Square Park Red-tailed Hawks Bobby and Rosie for a half hour with no luck until I saw a small crowd gathered by a low fence, watching something intently on the grass in front of them. 

Hooray, it turned out to be Rosie eating pigeon dinner. I hadn't seen the Hawks in four days so I was pretty glad and relieved to see her. 

A woman walking on the lawn didn't notice Rosie:



Hello:









The pigeon seemed heavy because Rosie didn't get much lift for a few seconds:


She brought the pigeon to a tree along a more southerly path:








In another tree nearby:




I sat on the grass and took very few photos of her as she ate at this new perch so as not to attract attention and risk having a large crowd form beneath her. 






Scratch:





She flew above the southwestern side of the park in low circles:


I was still under the trees and it took me some time to get to where I thought she might have flown. I searched but did not find her.

I saw two raptors flying above One Fifth Avenue and at first thought it was Bobby and Rosie:


They turned out to be Peregrine Falcons:


Apologies for the poor quality of the photos. I had no time to better adjust my camera settings for the scene.






I still hadn't found Rosie by the time it got too dark to photograph so I went home.