Fledgling visits the park arch, parents try to lure him with food - June 22nd, 2016

The fledgling has graduated to flying among the park trees now. A fellow Hawk-watcher followed him about as he moved from tree to tree and tree to building. He was really going lollipops! My friend heard him chirping as he sped around the park. They even saw the fledgling perch on the park arch!

He flew overhead making a bunch of noise when I got to the park. He then disappeared when flying above the trees to the other side.

A bird in the belfry:

Hello, fledgling:

Bobby appeared, circling the western side of the park:

He then flew in full view of the fledgling and took the food northward. The fledgling chased after him:

Bobby brought the food to NYU's Silver Center where Sadie promptly picked it up:

Mockingbirds didn't let her eat though:

Bobby had his own dive-bombing bird to contend with at the other side of the park:

All of a sudden the fledgling appeared on the arch while I was watching Sadie:

It didn't take long for him to fly to a new perch:

He flew to the Pless building (at the eastern side of the park).

Sadie eventually brought the meal to the building above the fledgling (NYU's Education Building):

The baby saw her and cried then hopped about:

Sadie left the meal on the antenna then flew closer to the fledgling.


She returned to where the food was last left. Bobby zoomed past her:

Bobby leaping off his perch:

The fledgling took to the sky again:

He landed on Silver:

Sadie landed above him with the food:

The fledgling cried and cried.

I kept waiting for her to bring the food right to him but she kept flying away with it. It looked very much that she was trying to lure him to a different place to eat.

She took the food in the direction of the library.

Bobby showed up about 20 minutes later with the food:

He too landed on Silver. He then flew the food in front of the fledgling then flew away with it.

The fledgling opted to plop down and rest instead of budging:

I had watched all this action for over two hours and the fledgling looked like it wasn't going to go anywhere so I left for the day.

A fellow Hawk-watcher later reported seeing the fledgling on top of the library in the early evening.